Experience the many benefits of magnesium with magnesium supplements. These benefits include helping you sleep, muscle function, and keeping your energy levels up. Ensuring you have optimal levels of vital nutrients can help you better experience magnesium benefits. From helping you get a restful night to helping your muscles recover after exertion, the benefits of magnesium are waiting to assist your wellbeing.
Table of Contents:
- What is Magnesium?
- 6 Benefits of Magnesium
- 3 Signs of Magnesium Deficiency
- 5 Ways to Increase Your Magnesium Intake
- 9 Sources of Magnesium
What is Magnesium?
Magnesium handles over 300 reactions in the body, like making proteins and boosting mood. This mineral supports a healthy lifestyle, and ensures your body works as it should. It is also required for energy production and normal heart rhythm. Magnesium supplements can help you keep adequate nutrient levels, so you can reap the benefits of magnesium.
Magnesium comes in a form called transdermal magnesium, made to apply to the skin rather than ingest. This makes supplementing this essential mineral hassle-free and the magnesium benefits more achievable. You can help avoid low levels of magnesium if you take supplements and check your levels. Reaping the benefits of magnesium through supplements can be simple with BetterYou. There are many things magnesium can do for your health that you may not have known.
6 Benefits of Magnesium
The benefits of magnesium are waiting to assist you with your healthy lifestyle. They can aid a peaceful night’s sleep, and your exercise routine. This essential nutrient turns food into energy, forms new proteins, and regulates the nervous system. The benefits of magnesium include:
- Helping you sleep - Magnesium can help with relaxation and sleep. Magnesium benefits sleep by alerting the receptors in your brain that it is time to wind down and go to sleep. Without enough of the mineral, these magnesium benefits aren’t seen. Taking magnesium supplements can help you sleep and help you feel well rested.
- Boosting energy levels - Magnesium benefits your energy because it creates energy from food and makes proteins. Taking supplements containing magnesium, like energy supplements, can help you get an extra boost of energy when your levels are feeling low.
- Promoting exercise recovery - A benefit of magnesium is that it is a natural muscle relaxant. It also moves sugar into your muscles and removes lactic acid. This means it could help to support your athletic performance. Thanks to these benefits, magnesium helps to relieve muscle tension after exercise so you can get back out sooner.
- Maintaining heart health - Magnesium benefits your heart too. Magnesium helps muscles relax, so together with calcium (which makes muscles contract) it supports a regular heartbeat. Thus, taking calcium and magnesium together can be good for your health.
- Improving mood - Another benefit of magnesium is its job with serotonin, the brain's “feel good hormone”. The mineral regulates hormones such as serotonin and melatonin. Which means another magnesium benefit includes beating the winter blues and helping with sleep.
- Easy to supplement - One benefit of magnesium is that it is effortless to supplement. Some nutrients are available as Oral Sprays, whereas you apply topical magnesium to the skin in the form of a body spray. This makes supplementing magnesium easy and hassle-free. That's one more magnesium benefit for you to know about.
These magnesium benefits are essential to help you feel rested and ready for life. Contribute to your healthy lifestyle by taking an adequate amount of vitamins and minerals. These benefits of magnesium are available if you ensure your levels of magnesium are at their optimal. Whether you’re supplementing with traditional tablets, topical magnesium, or increasing magnesium sources in your food, you need the correct dosage of vital nutrients.
3 Signs of Magnesium Deficiency
Spotting the signs of magnesium deficiency is important to catch early symptoms and identify if you are lacking. Without proper mineral levels, you can’t enjoy the magnesium benefits essential to your wellbeing. The signs can be easy to mistake for other health conditions. Some common signs include:
- Poor sleep - Magnesium can help you sleep better. This is because the body needs magnesium to maintain a state of rest. Magnesium deficiency can lead to restless muscles that keep you awake at night. One of the benefits of magnesium is that it helps the brain receptors to switch off before you go to sleep. Without enough, you might not get off to sleep easily. Some people aid their sleep with sleep supplements to encourage a full night’s rest.
- Fatigue - People suffering with magnesium deficiency may feel fatigued and tired. One magnesium benefit is its work alongside calcium. Both regulate muscle movement, and not getting enough can result in a build-up of lactic acid. This leaves the body open to muscle tiredness and soreness. Although tiredness is a sign of many different health issues, it could mean you need more magnesium.
- Heart palpitations - These symptoms are mild in most cases. Magnesium deficiency can cause pauses between heartbeats and the feeling of an irregular heartbeat. Magnesium benefits your nerves, so not getting enough could lead to nerve damage. A sense of tingling in the hands, feet, and face could also be a sign of magnesium deficiency.
You should seek medical advice from your medical practitioner or other health professional if you think you have the signs of a vitamin or mineral deficiency. They may arrange a blood test to identify whether you have low mineral levels or a deficiency. Always consult medical advice before taking supplements.
5 Ways to Increase Your Magnesium Intake
You can increase your intake and reap the benefits of magnesium by supplementing at recommended levels. Taking mineral supplements can help you to make the most of the benefits of magnesium. This can be hassle-free. Improving your mineral intake and reducing your risk of deficiency is easier than ever with BetterYou’s range of magnesium supplements:
- Magnesium sprays - The mineral oil used in our Magnesium Sprays is a concentration of magnesium chloride. Magnesium sprays are a quick and effective way to help your nutrient levels. Designed to be taken on the move, they are an easy pill-free solution to supplementation.
- Magnesium lotions - BetterYou magnesium lotions are easy to use and can encourage optimal vital mineral levels. Use them before or after exercise to support bone and muscle health. Magnesium benefits sleep and quietens the mind. It also moisturizes and hydrates for healthy looking skin.
- Magnesium flakes - Magnesium Bath Flakes are a concentrated natural form of the mineral: magnesium chloride. They are an effective way to enjoy the benefits of magnesium chloride in a bath. Expose and replenish your body with this essential mineral. When placed in warm water, the flakes dissolve, and the magnesium benefits the skin.
- Magnesium gel - BetterYou Magnesium Gel uses a targeted application technique to supplementation. The gel effectively provides the benefits of magnesium, ideal for use during exercise to aid muscle function and recovery.
- Magnesium body butter - Our BetterYou Magnesium Body Butter is a deeply rich, intensively moisturizing body butter. It provides magnesium benefits to help you feel rested and relaxed while promoting muscle function.
According to the NIH, the recommended dosage for an adult aged over 31 years is 420 mg for a male, and 320 mg for a female. Meanwhile the recommended dosage for a child aged 14 to 18 years is 410 mg for a male and 360 mg for a female.
One of the benefits of magnesium is its natural muscle relaxant property, however this means taking large doses orally can have a laxative effect. A magnesium benefit of BetterYou’s products is they don’t have the same effect because they don't pass through the digestive system.
9 Sources of Magnesium
The benefits of magnesium are available when you include certain food and drink sources in your diet. These can help you encourage your mineral levels. You can help to improve your intake and see magnesium benefits by eating mineral-rich foods, along with supplementation, such as:
- BetterYou magnesium supplements
- nuts (e.g. peanuts, almonds and cashews)
- beans (e.g. black, kidney and edamame beans)
- whole grain bread
- brown rice
- soy milk
Including these magnesium sources in your diet and using supplements can help you reap the benefits of magnesium. Mineral supplements can help you support your body’s need for this essential mineral. They also help you avoid the health concerns which come alongside deficiency.