The best vitamin D supplements provide the optimal dosage of this essential nutrient. Our fast absorbing formulas help keep you free from deficiency, support your bones and contribute to immune health.
Table of Contents:
- 8 Best Vitamin D Supplements For Your Needs
- How Much Vitamin D Do You Need Per Day?
- Best High-Strength Vitamin D
- Best for Adults
- Best for Vegans
- Best for Vegetarians
- Best for Older Children (Age 8+)
- Best for Younger Children (Age 3+)
- Best for Infants
- Best for Bone Support
- Spotting Signs of Deficiency
- How to Test for Low Levels
8 Best Vitamin D Supplements For Your Needs
The best vitamin D supplements are those which can provide the optimum level of vitamin D that your body needs. At BetterYou, our vitamin D supplements have a liquid formula, meaning you don’t have to take a pill, and can simply spray into your mouth and continue about your day. This means it bypasses the gut’s primary processing, making for an effective and easy to use supplementation method.
The benefits of vitamin D include:
- Supporting normal bone health
- Contributing to immune health
- Helping normal muscle function
- Maintaining normal healthy teeth
How Much Vitamin D Do You Need Per Day?
To find the best vitamin D supplements for you and your family, you need to know how much you require to support your health and see the above benefits. The dosage of vitamin D varies depending on certain factors, such as age.
How Much Vitamin D Per Day? (μg - micrograms)
Infants (Up to 12 months)
Children (1-17 years)
Adults (18+ years)
Sometimes the amount of vitamin D is expressed as International Units (IU), where 1 µg is equal to 40 IU. Therefore, a daily supplement of 10 µg is equal to 400 IU.
In order to avoid vitamin D deficiency (when nutrient levels get too low), we recommend a dosage based on body weight. For most adults, this usually equates to around 3000 IU of vitamin D3 per day.
The safe upper limit (maximum daily intake unlikely to cause harmful effects on health) for vitamin D for anyone aged 9+ is 4000 IU (100 μg) per day.
Best High-Strength Vitamin D
The best high-strength vitamin D supplement delivers 4000 IU vitamin D as a convenient alternative to a tablet.
- This vitamin oral spray has a natural peppermint flavour.
- 1 spray delivers 4000 IU (100 µg) of vitamin D3 that quickly enters the bloodstream.
This is the recommended safe upper limit of vitamin D, and is designed to help provide maximum-strength vitamin D to help recover from deficiency. The (UK) Department of Health outlines the following groups as “at-risk” of low vitamin D, and should strongly consider vitamin D supplementation:
- Those pregnant and/or breastfeeding
- Infants and young children under 5 years of age
- Older people aged 65 years and over
- People who have low or no exposure to the sun
- People who have darker skin
Best Vitamin D for Adults
The best vitamin D supplement for adults is our Vitamin D 3000 IU Oral Spray. This is suitable for adults, children aged over 13 years, and can be used during pregnancy and breastfeeding (but always check with your midwife or GP).
- This pill-free supplement provides the optimal dosage for adults living in the northern hemisphere in a single daily spray.
- Each daily dose (1 spray) provides 3000 IU (75 μg) in a formula designed to quickly enter the bloodstream and support your vitamin D levels.
Best Vitamin D for Vegans
The best vitamin D supplement for vegans is one which can bridge the gap of the nutrients which may be underrepresented from a plant-based diet. Our vegan supplements use only plant-based sources to provide essential nutrients. Since the “sunshine vitamin” is found in meat, dairy, and eggs, a vegan may be at risk of low levels and should consider taking vegan supplements.
The best vitamin D supplement for vegans may be our Vitamin D 1000 IU Vegan Oral Spray. This delivers 100 daily doses of 1000 IU (25 μg) vegan-sourced vitamin D and a natural peppermint flavour.
- The vitamin D in our non-vegan supplements is sourced from Lanolin, which is the wool from a sheep.
- Those following a vegan or plant-based diet may not wish to use it.
- The vitamin D source in our vegan vitamin D supplement is Vitamin D3VⓇ.
- This is sourced from algae and fully Vegan approved by the Vegetarian society.
Best Vitamin D for VegetariansAll of our vegetarian supplements and vitamin D supplements are suitable for those following a vegetarian diet, and have Vegetarian Society approval.
- Although vegetarians may have a less restricted diet than vegans, they may still see some nutrients underrepresented.
- As vitamin D is found in fish and beef liver, it may be a supplement vegetarians should take.
- The best vitamin D supplement for vegetarians is our Vitamin D 3000 IU Oral Spray which provides the optimum intake for an adult.
Best Vitamin D for Older Children
Vitamin D is important for children’s development because it helps to support healthy bones, teeth, and immunity as your little ones grow.
The best vitamin D supplement for children is our Vitamin D1000 Oral Spray:
- This children’s vitamin is ideal for kids aged 8 years and above.
- Delivers 1000 IU (25μg) of vitamin D3 per spray (daily dose = 1 spray) in a natural peppermint flavour.
- Using the pill-free formula means your children can receive their required intake and get back to having fun as quickly as possible!
Best Vitamin D for Younger Children
The best vitamin D supplement for younger children will offer a fuss-free and convenient solution to supplementation to support your child’s development. From our range, this may be our Vitamin D 400 IU Junior Daily Oral Spray:
- This oral spray delivers the government recommended dose of 400 IU (10 μg) per spray to support a child’s development.
- This spray is ideal for children aged 3 years and above, with a great-tasting peppermint flavour so they’ll enjoy taking their vital nutrients!
Best Vitamin D for Infants
The best vitamin D supplement for babies and children under 3 years old is our Vitamin D 400 IU Infant Daily Oral Spray.
- This baby vitamin is ideal for your little ones to contribute to healthy bone and teeth development.
- This provides the government recommended daily dose of vitamin D (400 IU) in a gentle, pure formula.
- This spray has no flavour, and the easy-to-use formula means you can simply spray in your baby’s mouth and feel assured you’re helping them to intake their essential nutrients.
Best Vitamin D for Bone Support
The best vitamin D supplements support the vital processes your body needs the nutrient for. Whilst vitamin D contributes to your bone health, combining it with another nutrient can provide a bone supplement for optimum support.
Vitamin D and vitamin K work together to support your bone health. Vitamin D supports calcium absorption, and vitamin K ensures calcium moves along the bloodstream and can enter the bones where it is needed.
The best vitamin D supplement with added vitamin K is our Vitamin D+K2 Oral Spray:
- This spray delivers 3000 IU (75 μg) vitamin D3 and 75 μg of vitamin K2 in each daily dose (3 sprays).
- The natural peppermint flavour makes for a hassle-free and great-tasting method of supplementation.
- If you are taking anticoagulants (blood thinners) only take this product on the advice of a doctor.
The best vitamin D bone supplement for children aged 1 year and above is our Vitamin D + K2 Kids’ Oral Spray. This great-tasting natural blueberry-bubblegum flavour spray delivers 800 IU vitamin D3 and 20 μg of vitamin K2 with 2 quick sprays.
- The daily dose can be adjusted for children of different ages:
- Ages 1 - 8 years: 1 spray
- Ages 9 - 13+ years: 2 sprays
Spotting Signs of Deficiency
In order to avoid deficiency, you’ll need the best vitamin D supplements to help support your intake and avoid low levels. To help identify if you may be at risk, these are the signs of low vitamin D to keep an eye out for:
- Aching bones
- Weak muscles
- Feeling low
- Constant coughs and colds
- Hair loss
- Weight gain
- Reduced wound healing
If you are worried about your intake, or identify with the signs of vitamin or mineral deficiencies, you should consult your GP.
How to Test for Low Levels
To identify your levels, and determine which vitamin D supplement is best for you, you may be able to test your levels with an at-home vitamin D test kit. It is easy and quick to complete. If you are concerned about deficiency, your vitamin D intake, or are considering taking supplements, please seek the advice of your Doctor or healthcare provider.
Why Choose BetterYou?
At BetterYou, we pioneered oral sprays and topical magnesium for hassle-free nutritional supplementation. Committed to sustainability, our products, from magnesium supplements to energy supplements are packaged in plant-based plastic.