Food sources of vitamin B12 help you obtain the recommended amount of this vital nutrient. We walk you through the food sources of B12, how much you need, and how you can ensure you obtain a sufficient amount with hassle-free supplements.
Table of Contents
- What Are Some Food Sources of Vitamin B12?
- How Much Vitamin B12 Do You Need?
- How Do I Know If I Have Enough B12?
- Why Should You Supplement Vitamin B12?
- BetterYou’s Vitamin B12 Supplements
- What Are Vegan Sources of B12?
What Are Some Food Sources of Vitamin B12?
Vitamin B12 is an essential nutrient, and part of a group of B vitamins. These 8 vitamins are usually found in the same types of food sources. B12 is water soluble, and available in a variety of foods, including:
- Fortified breakfast cereals
Fortified nutritional yeasts Without sufficient intake of these food sources of B12 you may struggle to obtain the sufficient amount to see the benefits of vitamin B12. This nutrient is vital to the nervous system, psychological function, immunity, and energy levels. Without a sufficient source of B12, you may be at risk of vitamin B12 deficiency.
How Much Vitamin B12 Do You Need?
No matter your chosen source of vitamin B12, you need to ensure you are obtaining the recommended intake:
- The recommended daily dosage of vitamin B12 is 1.5μg (micrograms) per day for adults aged 19 - 64.
When supplementing, you should pay attention to nutrient reference value guidelines, and stay within the safe upper limit. This is the maximum amount to ensure you do not exceed what is healthy.
There is no upper limit with vitamin B12, because it is a water-soluble vitamin, so any excess will exit the body via urine. First check with your doctor before supplementing.
How Do I Know If I Have Enough B12?
You may not be aware of how well your diet provides the vital nutrients your body needs. There are vitamin tests available which identify if you have sufficient levels of B12. Vitamin at-home test kits can all be completed at home. That way, you can ensure you are providing your body with the proper dosage.
Why Should You Supplement Vitamin B12?
Getting B12 from food is not as simple as ensuring you include certain foods in your diet. Vitamin B12 is particularly tricky to absorb effectively from food sources, because it requires a protein known as intrinsic factor.
Therefore, even if you eat enough food sources of B12, you may still struggle to obtain a sufficient amount of the vitamin. Intrinsic factor levels vary from person to person, making absorption unreliable.
Vitamin B12 oral sprays are designed to bypass the gut’s primary processing, to allow for an effective way to gain the benefits of B12. The core benefits include:
- Contributing to the reduction of tiredness and fatigue
- Encouraging normal function of the immune system
- Supporting normal psychological function
- Contributing to the normal functioning of the nervous system
- Aiding red blood cell formation
BetterYou’s Vitamin B12 Supplements
BetterYou have pioneered oral spray supplements which make obtaining essential vitamins and minerals easier than ever in our busy lives. Our vitamin B12 supplements offer a source of B12 that can support your dietary intake, and encourage optimum absorption alongside a healthy lifestyle.
- The Boost Vitamin B12 Oral Spray delivers 1,200μg of vitamin B12 in 4 quick sprays. This convenient alternative to tablets or capsules provides fast nutrient uptake, as it bypasses primary processing via the gastrointestinal system.
- The B-Complete Oral Spray delivers 100μg of B12, as well as the 7 other B vitamins, this is an expert blend to support your body’s natural metabolism.
Thanks to pill-free supplements containing a highly absorbent or most bioavailable source of vitamin B12, you’ll find an easy and effective way to gain the benefits of vital nutrients.
What Are Vegan Sources of B12?
Food sources of vitamin B12 are typically excluded from a vegan or plant-based diet. This means those following these diets or lifestyles are more at risk of low levels of vitamin B12. This is why B12 is one of the supplements vegans should take, as they may not obtain enough from diet alone.
Some vegan and plant-based foods are fortified with vitamin B12 in order to support optimal intake. However, The Vegan Society suggests vegans should take a B12 vitamin to encourage optimal intake.
BetterYou’s vegan supplements are formulated to provide the vitamins and minerals for a plant-based diet.
Supporting Your Health with BetterYou
We pioneered pill-free and topical magnesium supplements to support our busy lifestyles. Whether you need magnesium supplements to aid muscle recovery or vitamin D supplements for strong bones, find nutritional support now with BetterYou.