Supplements for skin provide the vital nutrients your body needs to promote healthy, hydrated, glowing skin. We’re taking a look into the benefits of vitamins and minerals for your skin, to help you look after your skin from the inside out.
Table of Contents:
- How Does Your Nutritional Intake Affect Your Skin?
- What Are The Best Supplements for Skin?
- Supplements for the Skin by BetterYou
How Does Your Nutritional Intake Affect Your Skin?
Your skin is your body’s first line of defence, it’s also the largest organ of the body, so it makes sense to care for it properly. Skin supplements can help to provide the essential vitamins and minerals your body needs to promote healthy skin.
Skincare starts from within, so whilst the creams and serums you see promoting clear skin may be enticing, it’s important to start your skincare routine with the nutrients you put into your body.
Your body needs essential vitamins and minerals in order to generate the collagen and elastin that keeps your skin healthy, smooth, and strong. You may need to obtain these nutrients from skincare supplements.
Some nutritional deficiencies can show up on your skin, so it’s vital your body is receiving the right amounts of the nutrients it needs. The best supplements for skin will provide your body with the important nutrition it requires to keep you looking and feeling good.
What Are The Best Supplements for Skin?
It is no wonder that skincare products often contain the vital nutrients we need in our diet on a daily basis. Below are the best supplements for skin, and why they can help to promote healthy, clear, hydrated skin. These nutrients include:
- Vitamin D
- Vitamin B12
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin A
Magnesium is an essential mineral which promotes restful sleep, muscle recovery, but, crucially, can also help to support your skin. Magnesium supplements provide the mineral in a topical form, allowing you to nourish your skin whilst achieving your recommended intake. As a supplement for the skin:
- Magnesium contributes to repairing your skin from damage because it regulates cellular regeneration, therefore helping to protect against free radicals.
- The mineral helps to lower cortisol levels, stabilize hormone imbalances, and contributes to normal cellular function.
- Your skin is made up of cells known as the epidermis, and keeping the cells functioning normally helps to promote the appearance of clear skin.
- Therefore magnesium benefits your cells and is one of the best supplements for your skin.
Our magnesium creams are formulated with skin-friendly ingredients, designed to hydrate and nourish, whilst providing a topical form of magnesium chloride. BetterYou’s magnesium creams could be the best supplements for your skin, formulated to seek to restore the skin’s moisture, leaving it soft and smooth. Our Magnesium Body Butter is Certified Sensitive & Atopic skin approved, making it suitable to support sensitive skin including those prone to eczema and psoriasis.
Another of the best supplements for skin is vitamin D. This essential vitamin contributes to normal skin cell growth, as well as supporting cell repair. Vitamin D supplements can help you achieve the optimum intake.
- This skincare supplement also helps to combat free radicals (uncharged molecules which can cause cell damage) which can cause premature ageing.
- Vitamin D benefits your skin by acting as an anti-inflammatory, which studies suggest may help those with psoriasis, as well as acne and eczema.
- Vitamin D is also important for immunity because poor immunity weakens the skin barrier which increases dryness and the likelihood of infections.
Vitamin B12 is an important supplement for your skin. Each of the B vitamins benefit your body in a whole host of ways, and can all contribute to the normal function of your skin. Vitamin B12 is one of the most important B vitamins, helping to support our energy levels, healthy blood, and DNA production.
- B12 is a vital skin supplement because it helps provide essential nutrients for collagen production - collagen is important for the structure, support and strength of the skin.
- Vitamin B12 can boost the appearance of dull and mature skin, leading to a more radiant complexion thanks to its role within maintaining the skin’s natural moisture.
- Vitamin B supplements can support your intake, to help to diminish dark spots and uneven skin tone.
- A symptom of vitamin B12 deficiency is dermatological issues such as rosacea, acne, and other skin sensitivities.
- Therefore, the B vitamins are some of the best supplements for your skin.
Vitamin C is one of the best supplements for healthy skin because of its antioxidant properties and role in collagen production. Vitamin C supplements can help you obtain the recommended levels to support skin health.
- Vitamin C is found in the epidermis and dermis layers of the skin, so keeping your intake at its optimum levels is important for your skin health.
- The vitamin is essential in collagen synthesis - helping to keep skin looking plump.
- Vitamin C benefits your skin by contributing to the normal function of your skin’s cells.
- Thanks to all these benefits, vitamin C can help skin appear younger by reducing dark spots and fine lines, and brightening the complexion.
Zinc is an important mineral and an effective supplement for the skin. Zinc supplements help to promote wound healing and antioxidant properties.
- Antioxidant properties help to reduce inflammation and protect your cells from oxidative stress caused by free radicals.
- Zinc benefits for the skin could help to reduce acne, rosacea, and even eczema.
- Zinc deficiency can also lead to difficulty with wounds healing, meaning if you don’t have enough zinc your skin may suffer.
- Including zinc in your supplements for skin can help you see these benefits.
Selenium is a trace element important for DNA synthesis, and also plays a vital role in protecting your skin from oxidative stress. You can ensure you achieve the optimum intake of this skincare supplement with the help of selenium supplements.
- Selenium can help to neutralize free radicals. Removing these excess free radicals helps protect cells from damage.
- Selenoproteins help prevent the oxidative modification of lipids and reduce inflammation - this can help support the reduction of redness and dry skin.
- Selenium benefits like these help to promote healthy skin, so should be included in your supplements for skin.
One of the best supplements for skincare, and ingredients included in skincare products is vitamin A. This is also known as retinol, and can help promote hydrated skin and prevent breakouts. It is recommended you do not combine skincare products containing retinol with other active ingredients, which means it may be more efficient to take vitamin A as one of your skin supplements instead.
- Studies show how vitamin A stimulates collagen production which helps to keep the skin plump.
- This collagen production reduces sagginess in the skin by removing damaged elastin fibres.
- Therefore, vitamin A contributes to a reduction in the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, making it one of the best supplements for skincare.
- Retinoids also help to promote cell turnover - the shedding of dead cells and replacement with younger cells - which can help reduce dry skin and lead to a more even skin tone.
Supplements for the Skin by BetterYou
Our pill-free supplements are designed to deliver essential vitamins and minerals directly to the bloodstream for more effective absorption.